PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you fly the CH77 in the UK?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2016, 20:58
jellycopter

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cran

That's encouraging! My last detailed correspondence with the CAA on this subject (CH7 Kompress) was about about 6 years ago and it seemed like a huge mountain to climb. JAR VLH was the reference document that detailed the required standards and specifications a machine must meet.

What aggrieves me, and others, is that the CAA continue to expect significantly more stringent standards for 'home builds' or experimentals than any of our continental or American cousins. The operational evidence gained in other countries is not acceptable as proof of safety. It's the nanny state we live in I guess. If you don't allow aviation to happen, or make it impossibly expensive, it will be 100% safe!

The new UK 'Experimental' category is a small step in the right direction. However, once you've completed your flight testing of your prototype, you still need to jump through the hoops (paperwork and £££) of a formal application and prove it meets more stringent standards than our French cousins only 22 miles away!

How can it possibly be right that the French and Italian authorities allow many kit helicopters to fly, yet our CAA don't. Why will our CAA not accept the French/Italian approvals and rubber stamp them in the UK? Why? It makes no sense. Or, is the UK so special and our regulators know better than the rest of Europe and the USA?

It's nonsense. If I had the stomach, and time.....and finances, I might consider pursueing this formally. But I don't have any of the above; and a brief rant on an internet forum is all I can manage.

JJ