PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 19 pages of drivel
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2016, 14:16
Shep69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me submit that if you allow this 'new' policy to modify your behavior or use it as a decision making factor that I think you are doing something wrong.

Or have been doing something wrong.

IF you're going to do this job long term, one of the first rules is to take care of yourself and your family. While there potentially was some backstop in terms of the company and RPs/fatigue management (and involvement as a player in the 'team') in the days of yore, IMHO this notably has changed as of the last couple of years and is not there anymore. While it might be there again in the future, it obviously isn't the case now. So the bottom line is you are your own advocate.

Don't let this job kill you.

Or steal your life a little bit at a time. It's supposed to be fun.

A lot depends on how this thing is implemented. Most of us are simply guessing based on past experiences and conditions; it is a different ball game today. There are those of us who might think things here haven't changed in terms of philosophy, but things elsewhere have. Many of us are talented, motivated and successful individuals. These talents don't go away, and can be used elsewhere and at other things if need be. A little bit of money is a wretched thing to compromise one's life over. And one never gets the time back lost in making bad decisions over what is important in life.

IF a heavy-handed approach is made, even absent CAD assistance, there are plenty of OTHER regulatory agencies in other venues where CX operates which can force the hand; in many different ways (at least if CX wants to operate in their airspace or nation). Some of these wield some pretty big sticks. As do those who would adjudicate misdeeds in medical privacy or employer medical accommodation.

And I'm sure the CAD is aware of this as well. If I were them I sure wouldn't want my counterparts from other jurisdictions ringing me up asking me what the problem is.

AND if I were a doctor of any kind, I'd certainly have some serious reservations about taking any action I knew might be questionable or might come back at me.

AND there's a pretty good paper trail behind the goings on over the last few years.

SO

Don't fret, keep doing what you're doing and take the 'here to help' at face value. If the incoherent rostering is breaking you fitness wise, take time off and get fixed to the extent you need to. If things are working for you press on; if you need help get help. Don't let a bunch of bean counter numbers or made up 'criteria' influence decisions on how YOU are doing and whether YOU are fit, unfit, fatigued, or unfatigued. The numbers made up are simply that--made up numbers. Has anyone consulted you or any of the subject matter experts anywhere to get them ? No. Has anyone really incorporated any suggestions by the operators or real experts into how to restructure RPs to mitigate fatigue and preserve long term health while also accomplishing the mission -- which goes hand in hand (or do we even HAVE RPs) ? No. Have we obtained more resources to address a resource-limited process ? No. Has anyone looked at--and more importantly acted upon--real solutions to real problems which could make rostering more efficient -- and at the same time improve the long term quality of life for those being rostered (there's absolutely no sin in being adamant about quality of life as well in that it's a win-win for everyone in the long run) ? No. Just words, pie-in-the-sky platitudes, pot o' gold 'systems' in the future more elusive than the leprechauns who apparently developed them, placing blame, and rationalization rather than action.

So why would anyone lend any validity to them ? Would you place much validity in the opinion of a doctor who told you not to worry about treating a curable cancer and to simply watch more TV, read more magazines, think happy thoughts, and take more aspirin ? Or that there's really nothing wrong with smoking a few packs a day so long as you smoke Marlboro lights and keep a log of how many cigarettes you smoke ?

The bottom line is keep doing what you're doing, take care of yourself, fly when fit, don't fly when unfit/fatigued, and as the song goes take it easy.