PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steam Gauges Are Safer..?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2016, 07:17
PENKO

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The original article basically states (as far is I can discern) that the systems behind electronic instruments are more complex and that general aviation pilots do not understand them, nor have the appropriate mental models ready to tackle any failures. Sounds like a training issue to me.

General Aviation pilots have higher accident rates in technically advanced aircraft whilst the advent of the magenta line has led a dramatic reduction of crashes in professional aviation. Again, it sounds like a training issue to me.

With regard to the off topic ( ) digital vs. analog discussion:
My car has both an analog and a digital speed indication. I refer to both, but in different circumstances. When accuracy is required due to speed limits, cruise control operation and for general speed information, I refer to the digital readout. However when I brake suddenly because of a speed camera, I prefer the angular indication of the analog speed needle. So far I agree with those that state that steam driven round dials have an advantage, however only in certain dynamic circumstances. Life in a modern airline cockpit mostly calls for great accuracy and at other times for instant recognition. A modern PFD is a good compromise between digital and analog representation. It might not be suitable for private pilots who fly once a month though..