PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steam Gauges Are Safer..?
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2016, 12:38
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do airlines and manufacturers not choose the steam gauge format?
For the same reason that the manufacturers of glass cockpit avionics continue to produce tape displays - they believe that the tape displays are "industry standard".

Many years ago I did some work with Boeing when they were evaluating PFD displays during the design stage for the 747-400. We had to fly several complicated procedures using various displays - some with tapes and some with round dials. Provided the scaling was right they were all flyable but I much preferred the old round dials, particularly for airspeed.
Thanks Bergerie1. Do you have any recollection of how the senior flight people at Boeing regarded the PFDs? I read somewhere that, following the evaluation (involving you, it seems) of the glass cockpit displays, some of the senior flight people were against proceeding with them, but were overruled by a management that was swayed more by the economic benefits of the displays.

I sure would not like to give up my airspeed trend arrow.
Yes, a wonderful thing, but only necessary with tape displays - which tells you something about the intrinsic inadequacy of tape displays.