PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2016, 23:11
MSOCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2. Dumb vs smart.
In the conditions like those in Syrian skies currently (no air defence, no jammers, etc.) the intelligence onboard the moderns aircraft (hi-pres. navigation, radars, IR, powerful computers, etc.) can well compensate lack of self-guiding capabilities in munitions. Those interested might have a look at the following 40+ years old publication reporting that dispersion is measured in a few tens of meters:
A Van. You may be disheartened to know that a stick of dumb bombs - and look at those videos to see how big a stick these Russian bombers were/are dropping - do not have a dispersion of "tens of meters"; in fact, I'd be surprised if the weapon effect doesn't cover a few hundred meters but probably much more. Get real mate. You're fooling nobody and you're starting to sound like Lord Haw Haw. Those large Russian bombers are carpet bombing. Plain and simple. The latest hit on the Syrian hospital and surrounding area is not the MO of any western, responsible player. Take note.

You also make a point about target ID, which I agree partly with. However you then completely undermine your point by saying Assad's forces are giving Russian aircraft the intelligence on where the bad guys are. You fail to realise that in taking Assad's forces' target ID at face value, Russia is either complicit in mass genocide, or being manipulated beyond belief. Assad wants to quell the uprising, which means taking the rebels out. Are you that naive?

Milosevic, Karadic, etc, thought they could get away with barbarity such as this in the FRY and Kosovo but their forces were neutered and the leaders later tried for war crimes.

The way I see things right now, Putin is lining himself to stand alongside that other abhorrent idealist that fell with Berlin! This will not end well.