PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About to invest...
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2016, 07:19
glenb

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
career change

Something to think about.

Go to your local airport. There will be some instructors that have done what you are contemplating. Schedule a coffee with them and chat about it. Could also be a good networking opportunity. Separate sound advice from marketing hype. Most will empathise and be very frank.

Don't do an Instrument Rating yet. Get the Instructor Rating first. Secure a job, then do the Instrument rating at Staff rates, make it tax deductible and draw on the assistance of your colleagues. You will save thousands. You will be demonstrating to your students safe practices to ensure they never get into a VFR flight needing an Instrument Rating

Don't do it under Fee Help. You are not racing against the clock for the positions you are talking about. Why take on a significant debt, when you get into your late 30s and finally start earning over the threshold, you will be carrying a debt well into your 40s. In an Industry that wont reward for about 7 years return of service.

Sorry about the rather curt email, but I haven't eaten all day, wife is yelling and dinner smells dam good.

By the way, its not all bad but you need to talk face to face though. I don't know your previous background but can I guess IT. That's by far and away the biggest supplier of career change instructors.

Cheers. Glen