PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 9th Feb 2016, 21:50
froghopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonderful thread, so many memories, actually found my way here via a Landrover forum!!

I was at 625 South Cerney for quite a while late 60's to early 70's, haven't found my log books yet but around 3000 launches spread between mk111's and the barge, with a few (very few) in the prefect and swallow.

Reading about some of the goings on at Halesland really started to bring back the memories. I think I have the rather dubious honour of being the only barge driver to be shot down by AA fire. (and I didn't think it was friendly either)

What really happened was that I was solo in the barge, just after launch I was scratching about for a bit of lift off the ridge when there were a few bangs from below me, no problem as there had been some clay shooting going on all day. Then bang bang and zip thud, Christ! I've been hit!!, decided to get the hell out of the way and as I turned away could hear the shot rolling down the inside of the wing. Very gingerly got back into circuit and landed as smoothly as possible.

"Why did you come in you were set there for a while" "yes Sir but I've just been shot" No more flights for a while while the boys in blue - different blue that is - turned up. Can't really remember much more than that other than the barge was grounded for the rest of the week for minor repairs to fabric and inspection, I don't think they ever got all the shot out though.

To be quite honest given my height it would really have been at extreme range for a 12'r and the culprit probably didn't think his shot would even reach me.

Oh well "mange tout" as Dell would say.