PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 40hr PPL!?
Thread: 40hr PPL!?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2003, 16:15
Propjet88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broadening up this subject a little, comparing my own training and subsequent instructional experience to "typical" training these days, I note a great hurry to get students into the circuit phase.

I firmly believe that the basic handling exercises should be completed to a sound consistent standard outside the circuit prior to commencing circuit training.

This has benefits of increased situational awareness and increased confidence when the student starts "mixing it" in the circuit with other aircraft, ATC etc.

Having reviewd some student records at local flying schools I see all basic exercises being "signed off", sometimes in as little as 3 hours and students starting circuit training but not achieving solo until 18 - 20 hours.

This compares with 6 - 7 hours of dual outside the circuit and 4 sessions of circuits of about 45 mins each prior to solo, which is my experience from the past. (This was on PA28s at a large school / busy airport / near Controlled airspace). PPLs (unrestricted) were regularly gained in under 45 hours.

I have also spoken to lots of newer instructors who say that they need to fly big circuits "to give the student time to get everything done". Same problem perhaps?

Its the old story of good foundations.

Thoughts?