PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Vs BA Part 2
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2016, 13:09
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking for what is best for my family, not for me. I want to watch my children grow, take them to school, be there for birthdays/xmas etc.

That is the most important. Keep them happy and you'll be happy too. It will more than compensate for all the greener grass and what if's. How you achieve it is a serious question and may involve money. It will certainly involve life-style and that includes time off, and also enough time & money to provide for the joys of life and pension. It sounds like you are not based at one of the large hubs, but perhaps a tiny base that is left alone and let's you get on with it peacefully. If so, long may it last. Beware. Pescara & Cagliari have been put to the sword. Others have proceeded them and others will follow on a whim.

Years ago I once went to interviews with the big boys; Cathay, BA; and later on with other lower division airlines during my nomadic career. I was an experienced airline pilot and they all asked why I wanted to join them when I had a good job. After the opening silvery tongued diplomatic answers I always said I was seeking to improve my family's life style. Never mentioned money or big aeroplanes. I rejected Cathay & BA because they didn't fit the bill. I stayed in the lower divisions and moved around and rose up to TRE. On the outside many airlines looked good and would be a cosy family and adventurous. From the inside they were of a very different colour and culture. Time to move on, again. I got there eventually. Lots of fun, hard work and no pension after many years. But I was seeking the same as you. Happy family life and doing what I enjoyed.
If you've found it, keep it. Think, will it last? Then it's decision time; but glamour will never replace happy family life.