PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fitting a Go-Pro on a Helicopter - Any Issues?
Old 5th Feb 2016, 00:35
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Of the 150 accidents between 2000 and 2013 where filming or photography was taking place, none were found to be caused by poorly fitted cameras on the airframe or inside cabin.

But go pros are fairly new and their use is becoming common place so it is early days.

I suspect two cases where the use of hand held cameras could have fouled controls. (One pilot argued in court that a hand held camera fouled the controls).
So in principle, small remote cameras are a safer option than a cameraman in the front seat

Cabling from the Cineflex control box to pilot and director monitors should be carefully inspected.
Mention in this thread was made of a cable run around the door sill as being a potential entrapment hazard, but the other option is routing it between seats and so very close to the collective....

Two cases where cameraman drowned when they became trapped in a non regulation harness. Avoidable deaths had regulations been adhered too....but that could be said for the majority of rotary accidents

Michael Schumacher's camera helmet broke, so attach a camera using a sticky pad at your own risk.

Suction clamp with a saftey tie to prevent the camera falling and jamming pedals or collective is my preference. If no saftey tie, then gaffer tape around the suction pad that will delay the camera falling.
A length of string and gaffer tape makes a worth saftey tie for interior fixing.

I'm surprised of the apparent casual attitude of majority of pilots to the threat of cameras, monitors or gps kit falling into their lap, it seems pilots are accustomed to trusting techs and trust that a camera tech knows what he is doing. If a multicamera interior setup is needed, it's wise for an engineer to be present before the rig starts rather than (only) at the end.

Mention made of (Li ion?) batteries being dangerous cargo. Easily avoided by using nicads. But beware, without an internal fuse a nicad can deliver in a blink, enough amps to cause a fire.
Due to airline carry-on restrictions regarding Lithium, travelling TV crew are reverting back to nicads or Nickel metal hydride batteries. Be particularly aware of home-made block batteries.

I can think of a couple of accidents where the cause could have been hand held cameras or errant cables but post crash evidence is non existent due to the mobility of a temporary fixing and fragility of cameras in a post crash fire.

However, there is no lack of evidence that the prescence of a camera in a cockpit can, at least, be a distraction and at worst have a narcotic effect on the pilot.

So as you rig your make-me-famous cam, remember the scores of pilots killed in the past decade in a cockpit filled with luvvie fever.

Mickjoebill