PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2016, 20:07
Constructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civils work

Thank you LTN man for the weekly photos. Only downside to them is that this old git of pensionable age with his hard hat, yellow coat and wellies hanging up in my garage is missing out on a share of the action. Anyway let's clarify a few points. The programme dates and durations you refer to were probably those used in the planing application and include design times. The actual construction times will be those stated in the Contract Documents agreed between the Client and the Contractor for each separate contract.The works may not be late.All major projects need surface water storage schemes. They can be the milk crate variety as above, or in the road area large diameter pipes or culverts. The EA LA will have specified a discharge rate into the existing sewers. A hydro brake will be installed at the outlet of the airport system. A couple of minor points. The bus bays are not cemented, they are concreted. The reinforcing rods are reinforcing bars. These bars vary in diameter,from 8mm up to 40 mm. I stand to be corrected on these sizes, memory! Each intersection of bars has to be tied with steel wire and then spacers fixed to give the correct concrete cover.
The idea to move Alpha is quite ingenious and is possible to construct. Main problem would be the traffic management of constructing a bridge over a live traffic route with very little temporary diversion room. But there will be a solution.
I have in the past expressed my doubts on a tunnelled rail link on cost. However to consider a DLR system or tram link is feasible. A ground level link from Parkway into the old Airport Way, making the first existing roundabout into a traffic light junction. There would be room to squeeze an extra two lanes up towards the Ibis. I would then propose a cut and cover tunnel, difficult but possible, under the dual carriageway roundabout and on under the new Alpha bridge into the CTA. These are realistic proposals.