PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XC trip - Circle across Canada and the US
Old 29th Jan 2016, 00:05
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Tie down ropes

Yes, plan for tying down the plane - the wet can be windy! But, give thought to what you put into the ground. Some of the great idea screw in or stomp in tiedowns are not terribly effective. Bear in mind that Cessna recommends for the 182 that each tiedown have 700 pounds capacity. The screw in "tie your dog leash to" type are often not that good (my dog used to pull hers out!).

My experience during many long ferry flights is that I have always been able to figure something out for a tiedown, as long as I had the ratchet straps. I really like wheel chocks which you can tie to each other around the wheels. If the plane cannot squirm out of the chocks, they will sit in a fair wind, as long as they are pointed in to it.

I had a look at the list I wrote for my last long trip to the Canadian arctic. It included:

Rope and cord, a crash axe, emergency battery pack, a very bright jacket, and a proper emergency kit for survival. The Canadian regulation:

Survival Equipment — Flights over Land

• 602.61 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate an aircraft over land unless there is carried on board survival equipment, sufficient for the survival on the ground of each person on board, given the geographical area, the season of the year and anticipated seasonal climatic variations, that provides the means for
    • (a) starting a fire;
    • (b) providing shelter;
    • (c) providing or purifying water; and
    • (d) visually signalling distress.

And emergency food, first aid kit, utility tool/Swiss Army knife, and a blanket.

As a final test, take your list of stuff you're going to take along and a pen, and walk into a field at dusk on a cool evening. Sit there for a half an hour, and then ask yourself what you'd have with you there, knowing that you're going to be there for 24 hours, before anyone or anything else comes. I have been stuck "with the plane" over night at a remote location before.