PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fxed Reserve Use.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 05:52
Lead Balloon

Received 443 Likes on 224 Posts
When an ATO simulates an engine failure by pulling the throttle on my aircraft, it gets 'orribly noisy. Undercarriage alarms.

When an ATO simulates an engine failure by pulling the mixture on my aircraft, the noise doesn't change that much at all. It's just like when I run a tank dry...

I'm not talking about the difference in noise when idling on the runway compared with full power for take off. I'm not talking about the difference in noise when 60 knots and idle RPM over the threshold on landing, compared with full power at take off.

I'm talking about the sound in the cockpit in the cruise at 160kts TAS and a CSU set to some RPM other than full, at cruise fuel flow, compared with the sound in the cockpit when the fuel runs out.

An astonishing number of pilots think the prop will stop. An astonishing number of pilots think the noise will stop.

Perhaps fewer pilots would be involved in fuel exhaustion and starvation incidents if there was a better (some?) understanding of how the engines and fuel systems on aircraft actually work, and their failure modes.