PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XC trip - Circle across Canada and the US
Old 26th Jan 2016, 09:21
777AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brings Back Old Memories

Oh to be young again! Chuck, you're absolutely correct! The 'Locals' are a great source of information and if a person is in doubt, ask questions. That should set off a few minutes of 'hangar-flying'.

Travelling through the US was always fun in a light aircraft. Things have changed, but I even had FBO managers let me sleep in the hangar. I even had the local sheriff deputy pick me up first thing in the morning and take me for breakfast at a local diner.

Before 'boring holes' in the sky, make sure that the radios and that all important transponder is working. Many years ago, I flew from YYC to Santa Cruz, CA. I was great at following maps but my transponder quit working somewhere along the route. Excitement ensued after I had landed and found that I'd gone through the arrival route for SFO at the wrong altitude and nobody could see me. (altitude reporting wasn't available then).

And as was also said...Don't push weather! There are lots of mountains on the west side. Valleys fill up with cloud at times, forcing one to 'scud run' and create a whole pile of trouble.

What fun! Just think safe!