PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fxed Reserve Use.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2016, 02:37
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
Aerocat, you make a fundamental reading error by assuming I am talking about my personal fuel policy (which is full tanks and a massive reserve every time).
Perhaps. I was referring to the general you but I guess I include you seeing as you seem to think it is a problem.

However what I am talking about is real world planning, try Four reasonably sized people in a Warrior for a bit more than an hours flight, where there is not a lot of weight left over for reserve fuel. So then there is a taxiing or some other delay, maybe some unforecast headwind and you just might find yourself down to fixed reserves as you come into land. Unless of course you wish to exceed MTOW, which I won't.

Add in an officious CASA prick on arrival, and a not very well calibrated dipstick, inaccurate gauges, an error in the fuel log (club aircraft), fuel theft and a missing bowser receipt, bear in mind that even one litre less than required will see you in trouble and we have a recipe for hours of distress followed by months of anguish if they decide to prosecute…or not.
What happened to checking fuel en route and perhaps diverting to an en route for a top up after your long taxi and unforecast headwinds became apparent? If you've decided to press on then find yourself with less than fixed reserves then declare a mayday. If you have just on fixed reserves then you've done nothing wrong and should have nothing to fear. For one, fixed reserves are for landing with, not shutting down with.

My point remains that if you (general you) have changed your personal fuel policy because of a fear of litigation then your previous fuel policy sucked.