PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger down off Straddie
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2016, 03:03
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex FSO GRIFFO
Well, here we go - again!

Stupid ill-informed statements made by both who made them above......
Do you both honestly think that all Tiger Moth aircraft were built in 1939 or whatever, WITHOUT some replacement of parts in the meantime..?????
No one is saying that, but, have a read through the report and tell us if you can determine when various components were replaced, and, when replaced, how old was the replacement?
Originally Posted by Ex FSO Griffo
As the owner and operator of a Tiger Moth aircraft 'built in 1942', I can assure you both that the ONLY part of this particular aircraft 'made in 1942' is the little brass plate saying so.......

During its 'life', ALL other components of the aircraft - like mainplanes, for example - have ALL been replaced more than a 'few' times - thanks to the Croydon Aircraft Company in NZ who manufactures excellent mainplanes to the original specifications or better.
And in a few decades time, I should be able to say the same about my RV-9, but the fact remains, maintenance for this particular Tiger Moth was woefully lacking, or, at the very least, tracking & recording of said maintenance was.

The wings fitted to the Tiger came from VH-ASB, with all but the lower left being continuously fitted from '86-2005 (no records available prior to '86), but -ASB's lower left wing - the one that ultimately failed mind you - was replaced with one of unknown origin and unknown vintage in 2001, with no record as to why. Those wings were them overhauled and fitted to -TSG in 2006, and from then on, had no mandatory inspection for over 1200 flight hours / 7 years - and this in an aircraft that is used for commercial aerobatics.....
Originally Posted by Ex FSO Griffo
Following this accident, I had to replace the lateral tie rods - again - they were 'done' about 18 months or so prior, as part of 'preventative' maintenance.
But they have now been 'done' again.
Knowing they don't fully engage in the lower wing attachment fittings, would you really be happy keeping them installed "just because" they had been replaced 18 months earlier? Assuming they were replaced with the same APMA-supplied parts, that is.
Originally Posted by Ex-FSO Griffo
Due to the very nature of these and similar aircraft, I would wager 'London to a brick' that they are maintained by responsible owners to a very high standard as we acknowledge that we are only the 'custodians' of these historic aircraft, and that we will 'pass them on' when we 'pass on'.....
Clearly not, as we've had a structural failure in flight that killed two people. That a mandatory wing inspection was ignored for 7 years is indicative of that. That there are no records of -ASB's wings before 1986 is indicative of that. That -TSG did not even have a data plate is indicative of that. How did the LAME even know what aircraft he was signing off on, other than the rego stickers? See here:
Originally Posted by The ATSB
Furthermore, a review of the logbooks for VH-TSG and VH-ASB indicated that both aircraft had a history of numerous parts and components being transferred between multiple aircraft and being supplied with little or no documentation.
A good report, but a damning indictment of the maintenance practices, and one can only hope it is not representative of the rest of the fleet. Flying a Tiger is on my bucket list, but after reading that report, I'll be happy to leave the bucket just a little bit empty!