PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Older Wannabes
Thread: Older Wannabes
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2003, 22:20
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you are right NHF.

It's more about what you can offer the company these days and I don't just mean you can fly a great ILS in limits (every candidate should be able to do that) it's about an appreciation of the teamwork required to get the job done, the management of the operation (don't forget they are employing you as a potential commander, not just as an F/O), cost awareness and coping with stress and flexibility and so much more. All you have to do is get the interview, that's the hard bit, once you've got it all your preparation should have it 'in the bag'. Why do so many pilots leave themselves ill prepared yet expect to get the job? The competition is serious, you have to do your homework.

PP

edited to add that many (especially the bigger) airlines are employing the person that fits the culture rather than the type rating; if you have the right attitude and the ability they will give you the type rating, what they don't want is a type rating with an attitude problem! And before everyone bleats, yes I know there are plenty of exceptions to that generalisation, but low hours guys are still getting jobs with the likes of easy/ Brits etc etc.