PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin A340 runway excursion. Well done.
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2003, 18:32
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
AAIB
There is currently no requirement to measure or assess the taxiway surface friction conditions and no measurements were made before or after the incident.
Speaking as a pax who lived through two winters in MUC and saw their superb remote deicing operation at first hand many times ... dear old BAA triumphs again.

I appreciate the difficulties of establishing a remote deicing op at LHR but that does not absolve BAA of this problem. It is beyond imagination that there is no monitoring of the taxiways during bad weather.

The fact that the emergency vehicles could not approach leaves one wondering what would have been the case if there was a fire. And I'm sure that no one is going to make a wise crack about the fire melting the ice!

To me, as a fairly regular user of LHR over the past 38 years, it only adds to my regularly asserted opinion that BAA are sleepwalking towards a disaster.

The AAIB note that no measurement of friction was taken after the incident means that no one has firm evidence to blame BAA? We can only hope that CAA do something significant before this winter.

Once again, a minor incident reveals that LHR has wonderful people holding this house of cards together. Whilst wondering why they do, I can only (again) express my appreciation that they do.