PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Rotate" a C 182?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2016, 00:12
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is very different to allowing the aircraft to become airborne when it chooses too near the stall.

In such a state the controls are less effective should you need control inputs to counter adverse situations.

On the approach to landing we normally use 1.3 times the stall in a given configuration there are reasons for that!
Yes but...

Approach is different from leaving the surface during takeoff. Of course, I do not advocate allowing the plane to be airborne below a safe flying speed. However, providing that directional control can be maintained, it is not necessary to achieve that agree 1.3Vs at the point of leaving the surface. For climbing away, yes! Vy, or Vx if you must. Vy plus if you're flying a single, and there is room. (I think I feel another thread coming on...).

For many types, it would be be difficult to drag the plane into the air at much below a "safe" flying speed (albeit slower than 1.3 Vs) as you'd be dragging the tail on the runway to do it. If the aircraft comes off the surface with a peep of the stall warning (a warning, not the actual stall!), that's okay, just don't climb away yet, allow it to accelerate! There should be ample room ahead (or the runway was a bit short to begin with) and as long as you do not drift off the side of the runway, acceleration in ground affect is perfectly fine. In seaplane flying, this can be more the norm in many conditions - just off the rough water, hanging on the stall warning horn, as the plane accelerates in "ground" affect, so you can climb away.

If, for round, and conservative numbers, we think of a very general AoA for CLmax of 12 degrees (and I know it varies greatly), most tricycle aircraft have an angle of incidence of 3 or so degrees, and maybe another degree or so of angle of incidence to the ground while the three wheels bear their stopped weight. So, perhaps 5 degrees AoA in a three point take off attitude. Lifting the nose a couple of degrees higher than that does not get you to 12 degrees AoA. If you're going down the runway inducing 7 degrees AoA, and hold it there until you achieve a speed faster than "stall" speed, the aircraft will find it's own way off, and happily accelerate in that attitude.

That said, I learned the "surprise!!!" way that this technique is much less suited to T tailed Pipers, which could startle you if they suddenly leap into the air, so I agree, what I present is not for every type.

But, with the forgoing, I seek to more "inspire" than be didactic! Pilots hire me to mentor this type of flying, so I thought I would pay it forward to a broader audience. I have some thoughts on the climbout....