PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Rotate" a C 182?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2016, 09:29
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is some confusion here over the technique of allowing the aircraft to fly off when it wants too and taking pressure off the nose during the takeoff.

Yes as soon as the rudder is alive there is no need for the nose to steer the aircraft and it is good practice to lighten the nose or even lift it during that roll.
That is very different to allowing the aircraft to become airborne when it chooses too near the stall.

In such a state the controls are less effective should you need control inputs to counter adverse situations.

On the approach to landing we normally use 1.3 times the stall in a given configuration there are reasons for that!

Partially to allow excess energy from the transition from a decent profile engine back to a landing configuration, partially to give more control authority for the final stages of landing and partially to add a safety zone above the stall for any pilot or weather related changes which could mean we do stall low level.

With gusts we normally increase the 1.3 to a higher figure half the gust speed onto that VREF speed.

I would increase that further in certain conditions as the winds and gusts are given at surface and could be much higher 200 to 500 feet up.

There was a good U tube on a light aircraft dropping a wing and crashing due to wake turbulence from a larger aircraft. Even in calm conditions wake turbulence could cause a problem at very slow speed and that problem is not just confined to turbulence from heavy aircraft as most of us will have experienced flying through someones slip stream from a light aircraft

We talked about AOA gauges in another thread.
In the Citation I fly it is quite possible to fly at just above the stall on approach but I would be very cautious about the conditions where I chose to do that as they would have to be very calm with very stable air.

I see little difference between this technique on takeoff and advising someone to approach from say 400 feet to a landing holding the aircraft just above the stall all the way down.

Remember in the takeoff you will be close to the ground near the stall with less effective controls until the speed builds you are in a danger zone and for what? Others here talk about saving the nose gear? you should be doing that anyway without letting the aircraft become airborne too soon.

what about the landing onto a short strip? No One talks about the forces on the nose wheel on heavy braking! Far greater than takeoff.

There are certain conditions where with an accurate pilot its safe to do but in the majority of cases for a number of reasons NO and in certain types a definite NO NO
If I am wrong here convince me ) As I am open to convincing and have been through discussion on other subjects I did not agree on ))

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 18th Jan 2016 at 11:50.