PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Rotate" a C 182?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 02:45
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
A few years back, while visiting a client, I spotted a lonely Viking in the back of his hangar:

I jokingly said to him, "if that needs a test flight, let me know". He thought for a minute, and said, "yeah it does, so take it for a run after lunch and report any snags". He'd called my bluff, now I had to check myself out in it. I read the flight manual, and though I was flying accordingly, it was with great caution, as my only exposure to a Viking was a right seat ride 30 years earlier.

I found it to be rather wheelbarrow like on takeoff, as I was letting it accelerate "fast plane" style, then lifting it off. After some practice, I found it was much more stable on the runway if I applied back pressure, so the rudder did more work than the nosewheel steering. I think that the nosewheel steering was sensitive, and the rudder used to that speed, and better damped.

I reported to my client what a super nice plane it was to fly (after I perfected my technique with practice, and an open mind). "Good" he said, "the new owner will need a checkout, you're up...."

As the photo also offers a 182 of a sort, I can say that you really want to keep those little nosewheels light, they can be heavily loaded, and get spinning really fast. You can over heat and tear off a tire if you're not gentle on them - ask me how I know!

As said, horses for courses, just know your plane!