PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it all really worth it now?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2016, 10:34
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
In fairness, often VSOs receive very poor advice from their subordinates. Sometimes the "conspiracy of optimism" becomes self-fulfilling and any attempts by SQEP to point at a "naked emperor" get steamrollered.

The issue is often in the ambitious SO1-1* cadre who make, sometimes poorly informed, decisions then sell them up the chain. The top strata are normally very generalist having hopped between roles gaining a paper thin understanding of several areas, and, not unreasonably, they rely on their Staff to help. The problem comes when the Staff are all hopping around too trying to be "broad", trying to avoid/defer decisions if possible (less chance of a mistake that way....) yet still trying to get noticed. The SQEP are increasingly being hollowed out so corporate knowledge is fading rapidly and often they don't have the rank to be listened to. Once enshrined, it is very difficult to reverse a bad decision as it calls into question the judgement of senior hands. I give you the disaster of Cap Dev disaggregation as a prime example.....

It's not easy being the most junior officer in the room telling "inconvenient truths" to the 1* whilst watching the SO1s/OF5s shift very awkwardly in their seats - well, actually it is if it's your last working day and you're one of only two acknowledged mil SQEP in the room....and it's also quite good fun!

I've seen plenty of this happening in DE&S, and I'm sure Tuc has seen a lot more. The moral is don't always blame the VSO.....we don't have a mass nor promotion system that generates a broad range of experts at very senior rank.

Back on thread - is it worth it? Unequivocally yes. You meet fantastic people, do amazing things and have the opportunity to fly or work on some awesome aircraft. I'd do it again in a heartbeat....