PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Older Wannabes
Thread: Older Wannabes
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2003, 05:33
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add a little more as regards the age thing.

When I applied for my first airline job as 'no spring chicken' I drew upon my life experiences to build my interview 'portfolio'.

For instance, when asked if I had ever had to deal with a stressful situation I had two pretty good examples;

1. Engine fire over Glasgow doing the Flying Eye in a C310.

2. Rescuing an old granny from a burning house and getting a civilian medal for it, along with letters of commendation from the Commissioner of the Met and the Chief Fire Officer of the LFB.

Sorry if it comes across as blowing my own trumpet, but that's what you have to do in the interview and this sort of experience came about due to my having lived a little. More chance of me having done that kind of thing than a 22 year old (don't get angry all you 20 somethings, a lot of you got degrees which I haven't!)................

So you see it's all about building up your experience and applying it to the flying job if you were/are a late starter. That applies equally to the old question of academic qualifications as I have alluded to. If you weren't a shining acedamic star, for whatever reason, you have to show them what you have done of value instead. Also, compiling your cv correctly cannot be overstressed, you have to give them the 'taster' to want to hear more and that applies equally whatever the age.

Get thinking guys, well before you even think about applying for a job.

PP