PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fitting a Go-Pro on a Helicopter - Any Issues?
Old 13th Jan 2016, 15:55
Radam559

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go-Pro

Wow! I am kind of surprised by the responses to this so far... Its like a bunch of members of the FAA or international equivalent just spoke up at the same time.

That being said, I have never personally attached a go-pro or anything to the aircraft I fly, but that's not so say I wouldn't...I know many people who have and have seen many videos of people who have. Obviously its an added hazard because yes it could come loose and fall off. If it hit the main rotor or tail rotor, then you would be having a very bad day...If it falls off and hits someone or something on the ground...yes its possibly going to do some serious damage... Yes the FAA or someone may see it and be a little upitty or a lot upitty since they like to react that way. That being said if your smart about it, mount it solidly then there is no reason why you couldn't do it. I would never use the little sticky pads to slap it on the fuselage somewhere, but they make some pretty bomber roll bar mounts or the mounts are extremely versatile and easy to make custom. The weight and balance issue is nill... its not like were talking about a HD movie camera for professional work...we are talking about a little camera and mount that maybe weighs in at 2lbs (on the heavy side if you made a bomber mount) I loose 2 lbs when I take a dump sometimes and I am not going to redo my w&b for that... I fly with spray booms with all sorts of things that "could come loose and fall off"...But yes there is probably a "rule" against it...just like I shouldn't go 60 in a 55mph zone...