PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What airliner type, please?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2016, 09:45
Stanwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd been trying to work out the relationship between the Fokker FXXII and the FXXXVI which look so similar.

It seems that the design of the FXXXVI (indicating 36 passengers and crew) was Tony Fokker's response to a KLM requirement for European routes.
The aircraft's passenger cabin was luxuriously fitted out and much trouble was taken with sound-proofing.

It was many years before anything on either side of the pond could match it for passenger amenity, I'm told.

Albert Plesman, KLM's autocratic CEO, then decided that it was going to be just a bit too big for his needs and no further orders followed.
As was noted earlier, just the one example was produced.

Plesman made up his mind that what he really needed was something about two-thirds the size and at half the price.
Fokker then came up with a scaled-down, 'economy model' version of the FXXXVI - the FXXII (22 passengers).
Four of these were built, using 500hp P&W Wasps (compared with 750hp Wright Cyclones for the FXXXVI).

Accidents aside, the FXXIIs gave satisfactory service on European routes until the two survivors, together with the sole FXXXVI,
were sold to British interests in 1939.
JW 411 provided details of these in his post #8.

While all these aircraft were reported to have had excellent flying qualities, there was, of course, quite a difference in passenger comfort
between the two models.
The two-bladed Wasp powered (and lightly insulated) FXXII cabin was painfully noisy, whereas the three-bladed Cyclone powered
(and well insulated) FXXXVI was quiet enough inside that conversation could be conducted in normal tones.

So, I guess, as always .. You get what you pay for.