PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYANAIR.......WHY SO FAST!! (Seemingly)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2003, 19:21
Faire d'income
I call you back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is amazing how many people have strong opinions on subjects they know little about.

Just a few points ( not intended as FR bashing ):

If shutting down engines before stopping is non SOP then it is unprofessional by the skipper. If it is SOP then it is unprofessional by the airline. While the 737 has two electrical hydraulic pumps if as has been mentioned the APU fails or autoshuts down what happens? I would guess this procedure is not approved by FR.

To the best of my knowledge FR like most European carriers nowadays don't have an engineer at every turnaround. The cockpit crews walk-around is the one and only. The seriousness of this is obvious. I'm sure the culprit was told in training like the rest of us what is required. If an inexperienced co-jo hasn't grasped this yet it is hardly the fault of management.

Eng123. It is common knowledge and sometimes apparant that a number of FR crews use Rev to slow during taxi. I have heard speculation ( rumours only I know ) that without brake fans and quick turnarounds it might keep the temperatures down. You would know this better than I would. The real question is, again, is it SOP? If not then the skipper doing it is behaving unprofessionally.

There have been all sorts of posts about fast approaches and ATC speed control. Dub have tried to introduce this but with only moderate success. The reason for this is obvious, a number of the locals ignore the speed controls. FR are guilty of this but they are not the only ones. ( BTW if an aircraft is at 13 miles and you are at the holding point it is absurd to suggest there isn't enough separation for a departure )

Safety is not to be taken for granted. Those who brag about safety records walk a dangerous road. You don't ever hear Qantas bragging. It is way too important. FR like everyone have their incidents, the only odd thing is the media always seem to ignore them. Everyone saw the photo of the Euroceltic in Sligo but the FR in Charleroi two weeks earlier never even got a mention.

Any non-aviators reading this might think my suggesting that someone was unprofessional is saying they are not safe. That is not the case. If you shut down both engines before stopping it is unprofessional but it is not unsafe. Likewise using reverse thrust during taxi although with FOD ingestion you may reduce the life of the engine.
Also reading this thread you might think FR pilots might be the only ones to do such things. This is not the case either. FR attract more negative attention because I would suggest their CX makes enemies everywhere.

Last point to Dub ATCO. Just because an aircraft doesn't go-around from an approach doesn't mean the approach wasn't flown too fast. It just means the crew didn't take the sensible and safe option of exercising a go-around. This isn't an FR exclusive either.