PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Rotate" a C 182?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2016, 16:54
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about 600 hundred hours over the last five years on my tail dragger Maule (my first TD airplane) . Upon buying it I was taught during conversion training that the approach and speeds should be flown at 1.3 of the stall speed leaving on about 1300 rpm of power all the way down into ground effect and throughout the flare, removing power only when I reached the tail end of the flare, this method retains a low descent rate and higher level of rudder authority for the entire landing sequence which is obviously handy in a crosswind. I landed the plane like this till about six months ago then I tried something different, same approach speed but killed the power about 50 feet above ground effect and gently but with increasing back elevator pulled all the way back trading the energy for lift prior to entering ground effect, as I enter ground effect there is next to nothing left, I'm now in the 3 point attitude with yoke and elevator trim all the way back with I assume the ground effect being the sole margin between remaining flying and a stall which makes her sit right down on the deck with with no flare or float and an extremely short and weak rollout. Getting the timing exactly right is very satisfying, if my timing is off and I feel I need a quick blast of power to arrest the higher than usual descent rate but delay it too long I get a sore arse, conversely doing it too early I get left hanging in mid air high above the strip with zero energy left and right on the edge of a full stall which is not a nice feeling. I've always wondered if the higher decent rate/ increased downward inertia is a better landing method in crosswinds than having the power on thru the flare.