PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ship to Air refueling
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2016, 10:50
Splash1983

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seldom bother to respond, but sometimes you have to - the lack of FLIR on RN SAR can be placed firmly at the feet of the Sea King Project Team who provided funding for the Yellow Fleet Aircraft, but would not do so for the Grey Fleet SAR aircraft. Same with NVG at the outset.

The arguments against the RN for enforcing DL currency have nothing to do with SAR Operational flying, but everything to do with routine training. As anyone familiar with the Military Aviation Regulations will remember the aircraft Captain may (as long as he can justify it) deviate from the regulations to save life or complete an operational sortie (SAR being just that). There have been (and I hope will continue to be) many examples of successful deviations.

We shouldn't/don't need to resort to mud slinging between services as in my memory we all got on perfectly well at operator level - it was only those who swallowed the * pills that became tribalist.

And HIFR is not any riskier than a DL if both are conducted properly by competent and current crews.