PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GLEX not able to land in foggy airprot
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2016, 10:24
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ Commuter0815... All I can say is LOL...

"Normally airline retirees are the safer bizjet pilots because they follow normally the rules a touch more to the point which is not a bad thing in terms of safety."

Now that's BS if I have ever heard it... Although I will not generalise the situation some of the worst pilots I have seen come to corporate aviation are ex-airline pilots (and ex-military). They simply couldn't cope with all the "go on the fly" situation of flying a business jet. Also keep in mind most airline pilots are well surrounded and supported in the airline world and many decisions are taken for them by dispatch and in some airlines they don't even have a say (or very little) on de-icing their aircrafts.

"Of course that pisses of the client. But normally I ask them(after I divert) what they prefer - being dead at the (or close to) planned destination or safe and well at the alternate and then driving save wherever they want. Never got a bad reply on that."

This must be the most stupid statement I have read in a long time. If you were a smart corporate pilot, you would have discussed the situation with the main passenger prior to takeoff and given him the possibilities and options. In our operation (almost 25 years) if a situation came down to not going into the airport of destination, 3 things could happen...

1- Delay the flight until the weather gets better.

2- Fly to the alternate if it is convenient for them.

3- Cancel the flight.

"And yes, most bizjets are CAT I only because of the costs for aircraft and plus additional crew training(and keep them current)."

I don't know how many business jets are CAT 1 only but the Challenger and the Global are both certified CAT II aircrafts. I'm pretty sure the Gulfstreams and Falcons are too. Yes there is additional cost for crew training but that can be easily added to any recurrent training at a proper training facility.

"I used to fly the same type of AC in airline ops as I do now for a huge bizjet operator, airline was CATIIIA with HUGS and now we are back in the stone age with CATI only."

HUGS? I assume you mean HUDS? Anyway they are not required for a CAT III approach IIRC. Many of the older airliners with autoland did not have HUDS. As for your comment on the same type you flew in the airlines and now in the corporate world, do you mean the B737 BBJ? If so why did Boeing not certify its BBJ to CAT III minimums?

"We have as well Globals(with their tinly little cargo hold, lol)and as well they are CATI only."

Not so, see above, perhaps the crew but not the aircraft. BTW, I do not find the Global's cargo hold that small for its size. I have seen a lot smaller ones for the size of the aircraft.

"Not so premium anymore when it comes to bad weather OPS. Sometimes first class major airline might be the better choice."

Well here's another stupid comment...

Seriously, how many business jet owners (especially the ones that can afford a Falcon 900, G550, G650 or Global) want to fly in an airliner full of people he doesn't want to be around with? How many of those owners want to be stuck to an airlines schedule? How many of those owners want to fly to a big airport when they can go where they want when they want?

Airliners = public transportation like city buses while a business jet = private limo and if I had their money there is no doubt which one I would choose.

On your comment about bad weather ops, how many airports are certified CAT II let alone CAT III? These airports are usually in major cities sometimes way out of the way of where the owners with these business jets want to land.

You can keep your pig of a BBJ... It is slow, so slow and it flies low, too low and your always in the winds and turbulence which you cannot out climb. Oh I forgot to mention your pressurization sucks too! Try landing your BBJ at a small airfield with minimal ramp space.

Last edited by Jet Jockey A4; 5th Jan 2016 at 12:55.