PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 29th Dec 2015, 11:59
[email protected]

Received 630 Likes on 272 Posts
P3 - I don't know where you get the idea that I am bitter, or that I have chips on my shoulders.

Yes, I applied for a job - quite natural as an experienced SAR QHI - and I didn't get selected; was I disappointed? yes, but only because I felt I could contribute considerably to the new service.

Do I hold a burning grudge against Bristow? No, in many ways they did me a favour by not letting me take the easy option of continuing in SAR until retirement. I know you won't believe it but I really enjoy what I am doing now - teaching skills and passing on the benefit of my experience was why I became a QHI in the first place.

As to criticising the new service - I am well aware that there are some top lads and lasses who work in it (I even trained some of them) but I wait for the day when what is claimed to be at least an equal SAR service to what we provided actually appears, without aircraft availability issues, fully meeting the contract, with everyone fully trained and competent (not just current) and with full night capability across the fleet.

I and many others worked very hard to maintain and improve the standards of flying ability, knowledge and capability in the military SAR service and I know there will be some within the new service trying to do the same.