PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carlisle floods
Thread: Carlisle floods
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2015, 19:39
NutLoose

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,259 Posts
Shot one,

Build on floodplains and you have two issues, one you lose the floodplain and housing stock on it then gets flooded and two you lose the soak away area of that floodplain, compound that with the fact the area is now "hard" by being built on and the run off from that.
Also you can build flood defences up as much as you want, but if you haven't dredged the river systems, something that has been cut back then your on a hiding to nothing.
Remember though, all this water needs to go somewhere, and when you build on floodplains it will shift that water elsewhere..

Ohh and I have already said well done to the troops.

Smudge,
Some of the shops in Cockermouth faired ok this time according to my sister, she tells me after the last episode as an example the butchers had the building rebuilt internally like a swimming pool with all the floors and walls sealed, so after this episode he simply had to hose it out, clean down and sterilise everything and he was back in business, others had flood defences put in place that protected them this time, not all were as savvy, but some were. Ahhh Jennings.... Nectar.

Last edited by NutLoose; 27th Dec 2015 at 19:50.