PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carlisle floods
Thread: Carlisle floods
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2015, 19:21
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nutty, having spent several years living in Cumbria (unfortunately down south again now) I hope your family are all well, and well served by the troops on the ground. Particularly those in Cockermouth, whose major output (Jennings) is dear to my heart. Having experienced the firemans strike back in 79 ish, mopardave will know) I know that I could only hope that I was helping to serve my fellow countrymen. It's sad if any should feel otherwise. And I'm sure the lads now deployed are mainly happy to help out. It's a sad fact that these days news moves so fast that we all seem to want to find the scapegoat, before the problem is resolved. Be it government, civil servant, county council whatever, that is something for the future, the aid to the community must be the first priority surely ?

As an aside, I watched a piece to camera today, you know, the Sky reporter up to his wellied ankles in water, doling out advice to locals not to come to town, as there were already too many "disaster tourists" turning up ! I couldn't help but think how hypocritical that was. When you watch people busting their goolies to protect their properties and businesses, as a news cameraman films on, for public consumption, there's no wonder many resent it. Well done the servicemen I say, surely a sign of support to our fellow Britons.

Smudge