PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Xmas and New year
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2015, 04:53
Shep69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friends can manage their rosters too. Some of them might not mind working; some might. Those that might I'm sure can find a way to get their priorities straight as well. Benefit to all.

The key here is not feel compelled to get r done at the expense of loved ones. As professionals we sometimes have problems doing this--it's kind of ingrained in us--by scheduling family time around work instead of vice verse. How many put off getting teeth or long term medical conditions fixed to minimize impact on work ? How much leave is going unallocated ? How many extra days are commuters spending on the road needlessly with the deletion of a workable A day system. ? Morally, it is probably ones duty to try to fix this and change the paradigm. The situation is not of our making and one need never feel guilty about time well spent with family--especially those whose usable lifespan might not be all that much longer. Making time to spend with loved ones is always time well spent.

One would THINK that someone who manages would understand this. Why would you withhold leave and not have stable planned rosters (where you KNOW what is going to happen--even if you don't particularly like it--such that you can deal with it) vice have a wholly unpredictable loss of assets caused by not doing same which you effectively have zero control over. And at the last minute to boot.

But apparently not.

In fact, someone who had decided to stay home probably would have benefited me (and some other co-workers) who sat doing nothing and had our significant holiday dates at other times. So this is NOT a 'team' effort in any way--at least from the standpoint that your staying home is going to adversely affect one of your breathetn (which might have been the thought in days of yore). The schedule is so incoherent one doesn't know what impact one has down the road. So I'd humbly suggest folks do what they need to do to keep their lives on track.

Last edited by Shep69; 27th Dec 2015 at 05:24.