PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian E195 out of RWY
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2015, 21:06
ClintonBaptiste

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as an extra bit of info, as Devil's advocate I have actually flown into Kupang. The last time being in July this year.

The VOR approaches to both runways leave you high and quite close and not particularly well aligned. Plus the state of the runway is questionable - I don't think the rubber has ever been removed from the surface and it is ungrooved and uneven. When in rains - it really rains! I haven't seen weather like it. With these added factors - it does make it a bit of a pig from time to time.

Don't get me wrong - the aviation industry in Indonesia is in a terrible state - I personally saw many things I would never wish to see again in aviation.

Obviously the crew shld have gone around - but TII (This is Indonesia!)

Earlier this year a new VOR was positioned about 0.5 NM from the threshold yet no new approach charts were published (Jeppesen didn't actually update any charts for months after). Our charts arrived from the tower on a badly printed copy of a copy. It just happened to be one of the worst days of weather on that day too - Tower were asking airlines if they had the new charts, which they blatantly didn't! They didn't even have the names of the intersections! Yet aircraft after aircraft were firing approaches.

As dangerous as it was flying there - it was great fun! The majority of the locals are sincere, genuine people and I can highly recommend it. Unfortunately the country is shooting itself in the foot and self-destructing - not just in aviation, but palm oil, minerals - you name it! This could be one of the most incredible places on Earth, but it's too corrupt and will never change!