PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degradation of will to learn how to fly
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 16:08
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after internal review with the FIs training the student and the schools owner, there was a serious chat with the student. Result is, the school cancelled his articles of apprenticeship.
In isolation, this seems like a good approach to me. There is a situation which is not acceptable to all parties, so all parties discuss it. The outcome may not be to everyone's liking, but the responsible party (the school) did what is must to assure some kind of uniformity of pilot skill and behaviour. Or, more simply stated, decided that "this pilot cannot be trained to an acceptable standard in an acceptable timeframe, so we no long offer that service". It sounds like the student had the opportunity to "see things the school's way", and it would seem that did not happen to the satisfaction of the school.

I look upon four decades of flying, and see what is now (and what I think is being lost). I have kids who can make my Iphone/Ipad do things I could not imagine possible - but I can make a plane do things the phone/tablet could not imagine! YOU, the pilots to be, must eagerly seek out the old way of doing things, to assure that while you're learning all the tech, do also learn to fly a plane. Your Ipad CANNOT tell you which pedal to push, quickly enough to prevent the taildragger from groundlooping! The old grey haired instructor, who can't figure their Iphone out does have the pedals figured out, and can teach it! Don't loose that opportunity!