PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter Flying: New PPL/What aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 00:26
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
jjoe,

I think you would be surprised how few passengers would actually want to do aerobatics and even those that say they do, might not actually like the experience.

Remember that in a 60° banked steep-turn, you are only pulling 2g. In a loop, the entry and exit are going to be between 3g and 4g and over the top probably less than 1g. Many licenced pilots have never experienced more than 2g. For passengers, it could be a very unsettling experience.

When I take non-pilots flying, I limit the bank angles to less than 20° if possible.

If you do take up aerobatics, do it solo or with another qualified pilot. It's not the type of flying to demonstrate to friends, until you are very experienced.

One more piece of advice - don't do spiral dives for fun. It's OK during training but they are potentially dangerous - it's easy to overstress an aircraft. It's much better to practice coordinated 60° banked turns - it is very satisfying when you hit your slipstream.

One last thought. When carrying passengers, always have a sick bag handy. No need to draw their attention to it, but you need to know where it is and be able to retrieve it quickly!