PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter Flying: New PPL/What aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2015, 14:00
jjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Flying: New PPL/What aircraft?

Hello All,

I have been lurking on this site for ages , whilst training for my PPL.
It arrived a couple of weeks ago -Yippee!

I have nosied around the archives new and old and tried to get a feel for what new PPL-holders do and some great threads and stories on that topic.

I was wondering what sort and frequency of flying people tend to do at this time of year when, it would seem a lot of SEP aircraft are tied down/wrapped up for the winter? But some glorious days/wx.

I have yet to fly since the GST and it almost seems like an anti-climax and quite a lonely prospect as I would like to change my 'home' airfield/school for various reasons.

What would you recommend in the Midlands and how far would people travel to fly for an hour or so?

My family have been soooo patient and I need to get them up but slowly and one at a time I think!

I've learned on C152's and still grappling with which aircraft next -would it be wise to start on a different a/c ,say 172, immediately and consolidate the 'conversion' straight away or stick with 152 - I've had various 'quotes' from 'shouldn't take an hour' to '6/7! hours' for that simple check ride!

I also have the desire for limited aerobatics- would a Beagle Pup 150 be suitable for this profile and what extra costs/maintenance would that incur against one that wasn't aerobatted? Is there any point to a Pup 150 that isn't aerobatted? - I have a soft spot for the Pup.

Many thanks for your thoughts. I know that's a big ask.

I realise that although many names on this site are almost 'close friends' having read their posts for so long, I am a newbie so please excuse my 'overfamiliarity' if it takes over!

JJOE