PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2015, 14:48
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these last two slots that have just been taken up, due to runway or apron capacity at the airport?
Think it must be runway capacity at that time of day as the first wave has left and continues to leave as Wizz takes over.

If it is runway capacity, the airport really needs to pull its finger out, and get the parallel taxiway's underway! As I am sure I read, this was one of the last phases of the airport expansion scheme, and not due to be completed until late 2018.
08 is more of a problem than 26 as more aircraft need to backtrack as the takeoff run is shorter and the taxiway intersection by the fire station gets blocked as aircraft queue over the bridge and back to the main apron.

The taxiway extension on 08 is now part of phase one which is why the mid term car park extension is being finished off now as part of that car park needs to be closed off for the new taxiway. I am guessing that work will start this summer on the taxiway when it is a bit more dryer but that is just a guess on my part.

With two entry points onto 08 it will give ATC more flexibility in getting aircraft onto the runway. As for 26 it is indeed a later phase and I think it is the 3rd phase as well.

Out of curiousity what will the runways hourly capacity be after the full taxiways are in place, compared to now?!
Good question, my guess it that it won't change a great deal as most departures these days leave from the intersection anyway but there are times when this changes I think mainly due to weather conditions.