PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degradation of will to learn how to fly
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2015, 09:31
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dar

I would also add that taking any risk decision might be ok for ourselves as its to a certain extent our choice. Flying a single at night cross country, flying over water, flying IMC with a cloud base almost to the ground in a single etc.

When we carry PAX especially non aviation minded PAX there is an extra level of responsibility in the fact that we are risking them too.
Maybe not our right to do so?

i can remember getting a shiny new PPL in my 20s and taking a pretty 19 year old up for a flight. The Top Gun image sporting a pair of Raybans and a leather jacket to impress her with my top gun flying abilities which were FAR off from top gun but more green novice and totally inexperienced.

Maybe had I had to carry a big L plate on the back the illusion I was portraying to this girl would have shattered as somehow Ray Bans, leather jackets, top gun Image and L plates don't go

Throughout flying we are taking risks and carrying unknowing PAX we must remember that we are taking risk decisions for those PAX and maybe we don't have a right to do so?

As A fresh PPL we should say to the PAX that we are novice PPLs with little experience and do they still want to come on a flight? At least then they make an informed decision.

Further in our flying we should also make our PAX aware of any elements of extra risk as they have to be part of that decision making? So we should for instance explain the risks of a water crossing as well as the procedures involved in ditching and keep the PAX as involved in any risk decisions as possible and not just take them on the ride of their life, good, bad or indifferent.

I know there is always a balancing act of not alarming PAX with risk decisions which only we should make for them as Sky Gods but maybe in many cases they have a right to be alarmed ?

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 19th Dec 2015 at 10:13.