PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degradation of will to learn how to fly
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2015, 17:56
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We don't know, whether the school, or the previous instructors allowed the use of iPad to ease the workload on the student in the beginning , or simply the student started to use additional tools after seeing his performance not developing in line with his hours spent in training.
The student should not have the choice to use "tools" of his choosing without the school's approval & the school shouldn't deviate from the syllabus by allowing them. This whole scenario is nonsense. The school is at fault from the beginning by allowing such behaviour. An ab-initio student may not even know that going solo is not a licence similar to a car drivers licence. My good wife thought the day I went solo that I was now qualified, it took some explaining to enlighten her.
If this student was allowed to continue thinking that he was in charge it is the fault of the school and their policy..
He was bound to "stall" on the learning curve if the curve was being set by himself.
Take this senseless scenario a few steps further, hand the complete rookie the keys and let him get on with it!
As for gadgets. Some years ago during a Classroom Nav lesson we were given : plot course London HR to Truro. I rather flippantly remarked, about south westish. The student beside me said, no we have to be a bit more accurate than that as he punched buttons on his electronic device, 069 degrees magnetic in fact. There was only one answer to that, Take a big packed lunch!