PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degradation of will to learn how to fly
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2015, 16:49
rnzoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjoe
the school that gave/allowed him 45 hours of 'non-compliant' flying and is now complaining about it!
We don't know, whether the school, or the previous instructors allowed the use of iPad to ease the workload on the student in the beginning , or simply the student started to use additional tools after seeing his performance not developing in line with his hours spent in training.

Either way, the main issue is not the use of gadets, but his apparent stall on the learning curve. Continued use of the iPad will not bring him forward, so a serious talk is required with the school and multiple instructors, face to face.

And finally, I don't think the school forced the student pilot to use an iPad for navigation. They provided the possibility to learn with the safety of an instructor, so if the student is unable and especially unwilling to change behaviour, I don't see why the training cost should be paid back to the student.

I saw a case where a student quit about 20 hours mid-training, because he realized that he just can't navigate, it was too much for him. Maybe this is a similar case, but now the student assumes he can plug in his shortcomings with an iPad and an autopilot....