PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degradation of will to learn how to fly
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2015, 13:12
jjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but I too am amazed that some of these pilots have built up 45 hours plus without anyone telling them they were wasting their money and time and in those cases the schools must be at fault too.
'Personality' aside for the minute.

Pace, I AM NOT AMAZED in the slightest! In fact the opposite- this is happening all the time and why do you call him a rogue student?

'Rogue' school maybe? No, normal school.

He made his case of how he viewed his flying and the school let him do it for 45 hours- who knows why they passed him on to CH,(he seems to be a good guy instructing for the right reasons), the stude doesn't think he's wasting his money- he thinks he's doing alright 'cos the school let him think that or he didn't take criticism on board! (This may all just have been mumbled/disguised comments meant to keep the status quo and not really risk upsetting and losing him;which happens-it's a business after all).

But again why should the school care- at that rate he'll need at least 45 more hours to undo it and more to re-learn........Kerching!!
He'll never get a licence, it would seem, unless the school give him one and he can buy glass cockpits, autopilots, chute-pull thingies or never fly again or whatever.....

The magic number, 45 hours- stude thinks he must be ready now;quite possible but not probable not because of aptitude/weather/continuity alone but school income dictats- they will not cover the syllabus in that time let alone prepare for test/put you forward -if you do exams first they get upset. They don't say take medical first just in case you are disqualified that way etc etc why would they?

I simply don't buy that a school will tell someone they are wasting their money unless they are permanently under-resourced and under pressure for results which most aren't.

Cynical? Moi?

As far as personalities go , very good suggestions have been made wrt dealing with specific types IF THE SCHOOL WANTS TO!

jjoe, my definition of VFR nav does allow use of maps! All pilots SHOULD be able to navigate VFR in VMC everywhere all the time the ground is in view. How do you think we did it before GPS in aeroplanes with no navaids? We didn't blunder into controlled airspace or land in a field to ask the way!

Once you can visually navigate, by all means make life easier by using GPS. But you MUST have the manual backup, the basic skill, in your 'toolbag'.

In the world of roads it's expected some will slavishly follow a GPS for 200 miles in the wrong direction on a journey that should take half an hour, or follow the GPS instructions to turn right, but to make the right turn onto a railway line (both these are not that uncommon). In the air we expect better, and the ability to apply gross error checks by ensuring the GPS info agrees with our visual nav deductions is essential.
Ah well! when you start using words like SHOULD.....!!!

SSD, good basic points but my post is still completely correct and you're agreeing with it.
I mentioned pilotage/maps/asking for 'steers' on the radio (although it has been known for lost pilots to land in a field etc. -and to blunder into CAS with or without GPS!) even in the good old days.

Even lost pilots are really pilots; just unsure of their position!

I made no mention of GPS being infallible or using it incorrectly!

Heston wrote;
you can't just say that the exam pass is all that's required because that's the standard.
Until EASA or whoever decide 'continuous assessment' a la CSE style is acceptable THAT IS PRECISELY ALL YOU CAN SAY!

might just get it together on the day enough to fool an examiner into passing him or her
Somebody has to put them forward with completion certificates etc.
Are examiners able to be fooled- who examines them? More fools?