PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degradation of will to learn how to fly
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2015, 10:09
jjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Name one school/business that will congratulate an instructor for telling a paying student (maybe useless, maybe effed about by previous school/instructor/etc but keen and still wanting to pay) to take up fishing instead...... get my drift?
Heston wrote:

Mine. For the reasons I said and as rnzoli has just reiterated - the risk is just too big.
Well, if you are oversubscribed you may have the luxury but;

Who said you HAVE to give them a licence- just keep going, IPAD or no IPAD, and don't put them anywhere near a 'test' or keep failing them if they insist- where's the risk in that?

My point was the opposite- student able (proved), willing, following all the rules etc but school deliberately not covering the syllabus to 'extend' training-so at any point if you changed school, your records would not show 'completion' of any 'module' if that's the correct term!

As far as GPS is concerned- even 'rogue' schools assume that you will use one once qualified and the 'pilotage' NAV element is as long or as short as they can get away with in my experience.
For the small (relative) cost of the kit, you really would have to be a stubborn so and so to refuse one for religious reasons; why would you deliberately risk getting lost or unsure or whatever else NAV. can induce?(note that this does NOT mean you should not have a clue where you are without it !)

SSD wrote;

flybymike - I agree - your post is worrying. Pilots who can't navigate VFR in VMC in sight of the ground worry me. They are not really pilots and should stay on the ground.
They are really pilots 'cos they have a licence to prove it and that's the test -otherwise there's little point in wasting time/money to gain it.

All pilots can navigate VFR IN VMC but not everywhere all the time eg unfamiliar surroundings so they use a GPS or RadNav or ask for directions or do something else like look at a map- they don't crash or infringe everytime they fly;(some may frighten themselves, some may be blissfully unaware)
There are of course people who are better at traditional map/compass NAV than others and we like them too.