PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degradation of will to learn how to fly
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2015, 18:00
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with OhNoCB here.....even allowing for a post that might have been written in haste at the end of the day, there are things that simply don't compute.

45 hours into PPL training was handed over to me by a fellow FI.
Just like that? Not a word, not a warning comment? Either the previous FI knew there was a problem but said nothing, or he/she didn't realise that there was a problem. Only two possibilities, and both very bad. (See below re Notes; reading them would have been a poor substitute, but better than nothing.)

As for allowing ab initio circuit training with an iPad on the student's lap; it just beggars belief.

It took me quite some discussion to let him leave the iPad on the ground
Come again? You actually discussed it? Why? He just needed to be told that it's totally inappropriate and that's the end of it.

After this ride I stopped working for the day
Well, OK, I can see that it must have been a bad experience. But instructors are supposed to be in charge and able to take control when necessary, and unless he refused to let go of the controls you were not in any danger. Why stop work just because of that, if that's what really happened?
Usually I do not look at the records of a student
From the context, you are saying this about a student you have just taken over from another FI. I would have thought it should be SOP to study the notes carefully in that situation, for all sorts of good reasons; that's what they are for, isn't it? There's nothing admirable about refusing to look at them.

What do you think of such stubborn people
Well they're usually a PITA, but they are very easy to deal with. They need to be told in words on one syllable, that they either follow their FI's advice and instruction, or they can pack up and leave. The most important issue raised by your post is that ab initio instruction at your school/club seems, from what you say which is probably unfair, to need some urgent management changes, to put it mildly.

Last edited by Capot; 17th Dec 2015 at 18:19.