PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - De Havilland Comet C2 "Sagittarius" XK699
Old 8th Jul 2003, 02:08
country calls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after all the initial media hype, it appears that Lyneham has got at least another 9 years before closure!

But the replies on this thread have got me thinking, and I have come to the conclusion that talk is indeed cheap and it is time my actions became louder than words.

If it is the last remaining Comet 2, then it probably needs intervention soon to stop it degrading to a point where it is only fit for scrapping. But where do I start? I currently serve at Lyneham and having made some phone calls today, there is a willingness to preserve the airframe, but at no cost to the unit or MOD etc. I should imagine the first thing to do would be to carry out a survey and see what needs doing, but as it isn't one of Mr Lockheed's classic Hercules I have to be honest and say I wouldn't know where to begin.

I am a complete novice in the area of aircraft preservation, so if there is anybody out there who could give me any hints or pointers as to where to start and how best to tackle the project, please either reply on this thread, or PM me. Also if anybody knows of any good sites or books which will enable me to research the aircrafts past, please point me their way.

Thanks in advance!!