PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is anybody happy at Cathay?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2015, 02:08
anotherbusdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think every single one of us came here feeling optimistic, excited and happy. Overjoyed to be joining one of the world's best airlines. Looking forward to a long and rewarding career flying around the world, creating value for our employer by being the best and brightest in our field, and expecting to be valued and rewarded as such.

Over the period of time that I have been here, I have continually been beaten down by their system, their management style, their degrading my contract, their continual expectation of more and more from me for less and less, and feeling disheartened by their ogre like check and training system where they tend to promote those who like to eat their young - all over and above a nurturing environment where employees thrive and push themselves to be better and brighter, helping the company in a symbiotic relationship where both parties benefit. Where we are experts in our field, and are respected and appreciated for the benefit we bring. It could all be so different.

In all honesty, I am ready to leave, and have been pushed to the point of complete misery over a number of issues. Most recently it has been out of seniority fleet upgrades, where junior officers were granted command slots on the 777 (a long haul lifestyle fleet) well ahead of those (600 to 700+ seniority numbers) very senior captains stuck on 744 and Airbus. And cancellation of RP's protections - as if we are not already past the red line limit of fatigue - they think they can squeeze a little more juice from us?!

The only reason I am still here that the housing allowance has given me an opportunity to create a retirement fund for myself which would have been quite possibly unattainable in my home country. The Hong Kong property market has been kind to me, coupled with the low tax rate here. So yes, I am still here for now.

But I have a couple more years, and my exit strategy is in place. Sadly. Because it could all have been so different. I really want to love my job. I want to keep flying and give back to the junior crew. I would love it if I were able to even reach my contracted retirement age, feeling proud of my achievements and proud that I have been involved in an organisation which has had my admiration and commitment for over 30 years. But no. This now is all about me getting out of here and away from this toxic environment (in so many more ways than one) as soon as possible.

Good Luck to you, and I hope you make the decision that works for you. And if you come, be happy, and take from it what you can.