PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Older Wannabes
Thread: Older Wannabes
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2003, 22:45
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes anybody think that there aren't hundreds of younger wannabes struggling to get that first job?

Companies have 'profiles' that their hopefuls must fit. They run selection tests to find those best matched. The best and most enlightened companies have a basic minimum with plenty of tollerance available in the system so that they don't end up with everyone the same as that has been proved not to be the ideal (why do you think nature has such a wide diversity?)

As far as age profiles go, once again, and especially in a large employer it is undesireable to take on everyone of the same age bracket because at some point they will all retire together! Many of the more senior airlines have had this problem in the past and are going through it now (BA, Britannia etc.) and this has lead to a wider 'chunk' of age brackets to be looked at during selection. I know it's against the law to descriminate in any way, but it's not too hard for an employer to wriggle out of any accusations, what I am saying is that several are actively trying to mix up their demographic age profile.

Of course it is harder to get that first break the older you are, but you'll probably find it's just as hard when really young. Then again, it's really hard when you're right in the middle bracket because you're in there with so many others!

I think the most important thing is to have something that makes you stand out from the crowd that makes the employer think, wow, he's intersting, let's put him in the pile to interview. If you're older than many then stand out for having done more than them and relate it to the job you are applying for. What employers love is experience that can be related to their operation, even if it's from another field, and a good grasp and understanding of how you can apply it helps make up the gap.......

Good luck, both young and old.

PP