PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reckless flying charge for pilot who ditched ultra-light plane in Bass Strait
Old 11th Dec 2015, 09:09
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
In my first post I did qualify my statement with "But if the allegations...."etc.
For the record, I crossed the Bass Strait three times in my Sonex. On the last occasion weather forced me down to 500 feet for much of it and I was not a happy chappie, I can tell you. With 20:20 hindsight, I should have turned back or not gone at all, but at least I had all the right gear with me including proper flotation. Although even with this, the sea was so rough I doubt I would have been conscious to deploy it.
Many pilots don't realise that hitting rough water at 50 knots (or even 25 knots in an ultra light bugsmasher) is potentially more life threatening than going into a jungle canopy.

Another thought - if he HAD fitted air mattresses inside the wing as one 'expert' advised, would he not have required a modification approval? Where did this expert guru get the idea that an air mattress would survive an impact with water at 25 knots wth some 450 kg of weight behind it? The survivors described the aircraft as 'exploding' on impact which is not surprising given the type of construction. Maybe as well that he did not put the air mattresses inside the wing, or CASA would have added that one to their list of allegations.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 12th Dec 2015 at 03:02. Reason: Expert advice.....harumphhh!