PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reckless flying charge for pilot who ditched ultra-light plane in Bass Strait
Old 11th Dec 2015, 01:03
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
It is fair enough that the taxpayer should fund the rescue of those who take proper safety measures in pursuit of their trivial adventures, as when properly conducted most adventures are not illegal - indeed some would say good character builders.
My boat is properly equipped, regularly maintained, in survey and insured. I am properly qualified and apply caution with regard to weather and choice of route, anchorages etc, but even so I could be held liable, for example, for towing costs, salvage etc if I was found lacking by my insurers, who would presumably consult with the authorities to see whether I had missed something or taken unnecessary risk. If alcohol was implicated, I would be rooted.....
If people blatantly disregard the rules and go out on a stupid, high risk exercise, not even heeding the poor advice re air mattresses as buoyancy aids, why should we not charge them when costs are incurred saving them ?
If Charles Darwn was alive, I bet he would say let natural selection prevail!

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 12th Dec 2015 at 02:56.