PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2015, 18:19
True Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the slow expansion of Norwegian from Lgw to N America, this must be starting to have an effect on lost revenue to the big 3 across the Atlantic and their cosy arrangement to try and funnel us all through high fares Lhr. Previous reports suggested that Norwegian carried about 200k to N America in their first year, what might it be in 2016, in excess of 300k? That is a lot of lost fares. Add to that the large increase in capacity from Lgw to Canada next year and Lgw is starting to be a thorn in the side for Lhr long haul.

Hope Norwegian does really well on these routes.

Interestingly, with the delay announced today for the Lhr runway decision, what do airlines hoping to expand their London services do now? A new runway is now further away again, so do they wait or opt for Lgw?

I continue to be amazed that an airport that has been full for many years now, can continue to find slots on a continuing basis to take services from Lgw. Garuda, Vietnam etc. I think if I was on that commission, I would be asking Lhr at what point they would stop taking services from Lgw, full stop. Just another reason I believe very little of what Lhr has to say, especially around all the massive benefits we are going to see if they are allowed to expand.

TB